- This event has passed.
May 19, 2018 • 9:00 am PDT
ClimateFest is a free community event that will celebrate and inspire climate action, co-produced by the City of Santa Monica, Beautify Earth and Climate Action Santa Monica.
- 8:30 AM – Bike Ride with the Mayor / Registration
- 10 AM – Opening Ceremony
- 12:30 PM – Lunch (Free with Registration)
- 11-3:30 PM – Presentations, Workshops, Family Bike Hub, Clean Vehicle Ride-and-Drive, Sustainable Schools & Students Showcase
- 4 PM – Community Voices on Climate Action (Powered by Pecha Kucha) & Closing Keynote
- 5:30 PM – Social Hour (Free with Registration)
- Music & Entertainment
- Speaker Panels on the Future of Energy, Mobility & Water
- Hands-On Workshops: Solar for Apartments & Condos, Intro to Drip Irrigation, Home Energy Audits, Upcycling Tees into Bags, Composting for Businesses, Apartments and Condos, Carbon Pricing, Climate Change Overview
- Sustainable Schools & Students Showcase: SMMUSD Sustainability Plan, Student Sustainability Activities, Grades of Green, Annual Sustainable Student Poster Contest featured winners
- Family Bike Hub: Youth Skills Course, Cargo Bikes, Bike Repair, Bike Swap
- Kids Activities & Childcare
Detailed agenda to follow.
Free bike valet will be available; Breeze bikes can be parked at the bike valet without incurring the $2 out-of-hub fee. Big Blue Bus lines 1, 2, 9 and 18 are a short walk from the venue. Limited parking available onsite.
What if I cannot attend for the whole day?
We welcome whatever amount of participation you can contribute. ClimateFest will have activities all day (9 AM – 6 PM) starting early with a “Bike Ride with the Mayor” arriving at St. Monica’s at 9:30 AM and ending with a Social Hour. Once on site, attendees will have choices as to how they wish to participate. Organizers will post the final schedule in advance so you can better plan your day and begin to make choices as to which workshops, talks, and activities to attend.
Are children allowed to attend?
Children are welcome to attend. We will have kid-centric activities and childcare available.
What if I don’t live in Santa Monica?
If you work in Santa Monica or visit often, your voice is important too and you are welcome to attend!
Where can I learn more about climate change in Santa Monica and Los Angeles?
Local climate change impacts have been modeled and projected for the LA region. To learn more, visit www.kcet.org/climate-change-la.
Where can I learn more about climate action in Santa Monica?
The Office of Sustainability and the Environment is responsible for the City’s climate action planning efforts. To learn more, visit www.sustainablesm.org/climate.
What the heck is Pecha Kucha?
Pecha Kucha was devised in Tokyo in 2003 as an event for young designers to meet, network, and show their work in public. Pecha Kucha is a simple presentation format where you show 20 images, each for 20 seconds for a total of 6 min and 40 sec. The images advance automatically and you talk along to the images. We are inviting you to submit your own Pecha Kucha talk to present at the Summit! Contact gi[email protected] for details.