- This event has passed.
BoldPas: An Art Takeover of Old Pasadena
May 12, 2018 • 12:00 pm(All times are in PDT)
Old Pasadena becomes the canvas for a day of art and play when Old Pasadena Management District (OPMD) stages its second annual BoldPas: An Art Takeover of Old Pasadena on Saturday, May 12, from 12:00 to 8:00pm.
BoldPas is a vibrant, free, one-day art takeover, showcasing 13 selected, large, temporary art installations throughout the historic alleyways of Old Pasadena. The day’s creative atmosphere is magnified with three live painters, 30+ art stops, and art activities for all ages, all day long. More than a dozen selected works from L.A. artists feature a “bold” theme, displaying bright colors, surprising scale, and playfulness; many encourage direct interaction with viewers.
The free event highlights the character of the unique urban and historic public spaces of Old Pasadena’s 22-block district. Visitors are invited to spend the day walking the district and encountering artistic, ephemeral interventions at every turn. Come experience Old Pasadena with new eyes – gather with friends, stroll the alleys and side streets, meet artists and local business owners, snap and share your photos, and connect with Pasadena’s creative community.
Event day activities include:
• 13 Temporary Art Installations by selected artists: Kelley Anderson, Todd Bank, Ash Cano, Leah Clancy, Maxwell Coppola, Hannah Hiler, Phillip Meacham, Rebekah Neel & Meagan VanDeventer, Nathaniel Osollo, Keith Patterson & Viviana Palacio, Robyn Sanford, Amy Van Gilder, Rachel Visalda
• Live Painters Allison Bamcat, Luke Chueh, and Valerie Pobjoy working all afternoon on new large canvas pieces
• “Beautiful Pasadena”: A Special Installation Presented by Flower Pepper Gallery featuring 5 artists each taking over a display window: Valerie Pobjoy, Ivana Quezada, Shangee Shin, Amy Van Gilder, Po Yan Leung
• Pasadena Walking Tours hosts two tours at 12:30pm and 3:00pm, highlighting both the temporary installations and Old Pasadena’s permanent public art, as well as offering a chance to meet the onsite artists. Tours require advance registration (https://bit.ly/2Kg4u1S)
• 30+ Art Stops at participating stores and restaurants create the perfect backdrop for selfies and one-of-a-kind photo ops
• Friendship Church Activity Hub offering poetry writers in the “Haiku Garden”, KCRW DJ Glenn Red, food trucks, Friendship Gospel Choir performance, and tours of the historic church
• Warrior Painters capturing the event scene en plein air at several locations
• Event Maps will be available at three Info Booths and all Merchant Art Stops for self-guided tours
Visit www.oldpasdena.org/boldpas for complete information. Tag us with #BoldPas and #OnlyinOldPas.
Go Metro: Take the Metro Gold Line to Memorial Park or Del Mar Station. All art installations are walking distance from both stations. Plan your trip on metro.net or call 323.GO.METRO (323.466.3876).
Pick up a Metro Bike and go for a ride to see all art exhibits in Old Pasadena. There’s a Metro Bike Share Station at Memorial Park and Del Mar Station! Find a station near you at metro.net/bikeshare.
ABOUT OLD PASADENA MANAGEMENT
Old Pasadena is the original downtown of Pasadena, home to the Tournament of Roses and located just ten miles from downtown Los Angeles. This 22-block National Register Historic District is internationally recognized as a shining example of urban renewal. Old Pasadena is one of the premiere shopping and dining destinations in the country, featuring a cosmopolitan mix of 200 retail shops and specialty boutiques, as well as 100 restaurants, cafés, and entertainment venues. This architectural gem is pedestrian friendly and provides convenient parking and easy access to public transportation, served by two Metro Gold Line stops.
Media: Please contact Janet Swartz at 626.356.9725 or [email protected] for further information, interviews, and photographs.