- This event has passed.
The Happiest Song Plays Last
February 22, 2018 @ 8:00 pm
Los Angeles, 90013 United States
California premiere of The Happiest Song Plays Last — Set to the joyful sounds of traditional Puerto Rican folk music, this poignant play — the final installment in Hudes’ three-play “Elliot cycle,” which began with the Pulitzer Prize-finalist Elliot, A Soldier’s Fugue and Pulitzer Prize-winner Water by the Spoonful — chronicles a year in the life of two kindred souls as they search for love, meaning and a sense of hope in a quickly changing world. At the dawn of the Arab Spring in an ancient Jordanian town, an Iraq War veteran struggles to overcome the traumas of combat by taking on an entirely new and unexpected career: an action-film hero. At the same time, halfway around the world in a cozy North Philadelphia kitchen, his cousin takes on a heroic new role of her own: as the heart and soul of her crumbling community, providing hot meals and an open door for the needy. Directed by Edward Torres, who directed the world premiere production at the Goodman Theatre in Chicago, and featuring live music by Grammy Award-winning tres guitar player Nelson González.
• Written by Quiara Alegría Hudes
• Directed by Edward Torres
• Starring Vaneh Assadourian, Elisa Bocanegra, Kamal Marayati, Peter Pasco, Al Rodrigo, John Seda-Pitre
• Puerto Rican folk music performed live by Nelson González
• Produced by The Latino Theater Company
Previews: Feb. 17 – Feb. 21
Performances: Feb. 22 – March 19
• Tuesday at 8 p.m.: Feb. 20 ONLY (preview)
• Wednesday at 8 p.m.: Feb. 21 ONLY (preview)
• Thursday at 8 p.m.: Feb. 22 ONLY (Opening Night)
• Fridays at 8 p.m.: Feb. 23, March 2, March 9, March 16
• Saturdays at 8 p.m.: Feb. 17 (preview), Feb. 24, March 3, March 10, March 17
• Sundays at 3 p.m.: Feb. 18 (preview), Feb. 25, March 4, March 11, March 18
• Mondays at 7:30 p.m.: Feb. 26, March 5, March 12, March 19
The Los Angeles Theatre Center
Tom Bradley Theater
514 S. Spring Street
Los Angeles CA 90013
• To purchase tickets, call (866) 811-4111 or go to http://thelatc.org/
• For group sales, call (213) 489-0994
• Like us on facebook: www.facebook.com/theLATC
• Follow us on twitter and instagram: @theLATC
• $5 with box office validation, Joe’s Parking structure, 530 S. Spring St. (immediately south of the theater)
• Metered parking available on streets surrounding the theater.
• Take the Metro: nearest stop is Pershing Square (two blocks west of The LATC).