‘Haiti’ by William DuBois
August 19, 2018 @ 8:00 pm - September 29, 2018
Topanga, CA 90290 United States
Haiti — A revival of William DuBois’ historical melodrama about the 1802 overthrow of the colonial Haitian government by Toussaint L’Ouverture. Subtitled “A drama of the black Napoleon,” Haiti was presented in 1938 by the Negro Theatre Unit of the Federal Theatre Project in a radical and controversial production that saw white and black actors performing onstage together at the Lafayette Theatre in Harlem.
• Written by William DuBois
• Directed by Ellen Geer
• Starring Altsea Baker, Louis Baker, Tavis L. Baker, Fabian Cook Jr., Tiffany Coty, Alexa Crismon, Kaila E. Drew, Steve Fisher, Holly Hawk, Rodrick Jean-Charles, Max Lawrence, Mark Lewis, Lea Madda, Dane Oliver, Sherrick O’Quinn, Earnestine Phillips, Clarence Powell, Cameron Rose, Aaron Vereen and Jeff Wiesen
• Presented by Will Geer’s Theatricum Botanicum
Performances: July 28 – Sept. 29:
• Sunday, Aug. 19 at 8 p.m.
• Sunday, Aug. 26 at 4 p.m.*
• Sunday, Sept. 2 at 4 p.m.
• Saturday, Sept. 8 at 8 p.m.
• Sunday, Sept. 16 at 4 p.m.
• Saturday, Sept. 22 at 4 p.m.
• Saturday, Sept. 29 at 4 p.m.
*Prologue (pre-show discussion):Sunday, Aug. 26 from 3 p.m.–3:30 p.m. (included in ticket price)
Will Geer’s Theatricum Botanicum
1419 N. Topanga Canyon Blvd.
Topanga CA 90290
(midway between Pacific Coast Highway and the Ventura Freeway)
• Adults: $38.50 (lower tier); $25 (upper tier)
• Seniors (65+), Students, Military Veterans, Teachers, AEA Members: $25/$15
• Children (5-15): $10
• Children 4 and under: Free
The outdoor amphitheaters at Will Geer’s Theatricum Botanicum are terraced into the hillside of the rustic canyon. Audience members are advised to dress casually (warmly for evenings) and bring cushions for bench seating. Patrons are welcome to arrive early and picnic before a performance.