Beyond Black — The Style of Amy Winehouse
January 17, 2020 • 10:30 am - April 13, 2020
Six-time GRAMMY® winner Amy Winehouse has been widely renowned not just as a British music icon and pop royalty, but as a trendsetting fashion influencer. To showcase the late singer’s iconic outfits, as well as never-before-seen handwritten lyrics, journal entries and other reflections from her family’s personal archive, the GRAMMY Museum® proudly presents Beyond Black — The Style Of Amy Winehouse. The exhibit will open on Jan. 17, 2020 and will run through April 13.
Beyond Black — The Style Of Amy Winehouse will offer a retrospective of Winehouse’s career, her biggest influences, her most iconic fashion moments, and how she — while only living to be 27 and releasing two studio albums — left an indelible mark on music, fashion and pop culture. Winehouse’s unique musical style and fashion sense were a reflection of her musical influences, including legacy artists Frank Sinatra, Shangri-Las, Ella Fitzgerald, Dinah Washington, and more, as well as contemporaries in hip-hop and R&B, including Salt-N-Pepa, Nas, Beastie Boys, Lauryn Hill, En Vogue, and more. The exhibit will also touch on how Winehouse’s untimely passing led her family to create the Amy Winehouse Foundation, which works to inspire children and young people to build their self-esteem and resilience, so that they can flourish.
This exhibit captures the spirt of Winehouse through some of her most cherished and unique outfits and showcases her wit and charm by displaying never-before-seen handwritten lyrics and prolific journal entries.
Exhibit highlights include:
- NEVER-BEFORE-SEEN HANDWRITTEN LYRICS AND JOURNAL ENTRIES
- NEVER-BEFORE-SEEN HOME VIDEO
- WINEHOUSE’S HALTER DRESS WORN AT HER FINAL STAGE PERFORMANCE IN BELGRADE IN 2011
- CUSTOM-MADE, BUT NEVER WORN, DRESSES BY STYLIST NAOMI PARRY FOR WINEHOUSE’S CANCELLED 2011 SUMMER FESTIVAL TOUR
- WINEHOUSE’S YELLOW PREEN ‘POWER DRESS’ AND BOLD RED LEATHER HEART-SHAPED MOSCHINO PURSE WITH VELVET LINING USED AT THE 2007 BRIT AWARDS
- WINEHOUSE’S 2008 GRAMMY AWARDS® OUTFIT DESIGNED BY DOLCE & GABBANA
- CAPSULE COLLECTIONS PERSONALLY DESIGNED BY AMY WINEHOUSE FOR FRED PERRY’S LINE, INCLUDING A BLACK COTTON TWILL VARSITY STYLE JACKET WITH GREY LEATHER SLEEVES MONOGRAMMED WITH “AMY” IN THE FRONT
- A MOHAIR LEOPARD-STYLE PATTERN CARDIGAN BY DOLCE & GABBANA THAT WINEHOUSE WAS PHOTOGRAPHED WEARING LEAVING A FAVORITE STOMPING GROUND OF HERS, THE HAWLEY ARMS PUB IN CAMDEN, LONDON
- WINEHOUSE’S GRAMMY AWARDS